It’s interesting, when my Bible is opened, at what will stand out to me. I’m often surprised by a Scripture I didn’t remember and though I’ve likely read over it many times, it never jumped out at me.
And it’s also remarkable how many times the Scripture that jumps out is exactly in line with the lesson I’m learning in life at the time.
Recently, I was struggling between a bad habit and the desire to create a good one. Then, while looking through my Bible, I read:
Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in your way.Psalm 119:37
The bad habit I had been considering: my intake of social media and news media. Both were consumed too much and both were too often negative.
I’ll add, though it’s obvious, that not all social media or news media is “worthless.” We all know that. But we also know what is worthless, and for me, 98% of it really is irrelevant to and not helpful to my life. The other 2% is good for me: homeschooling encouragement, beautiful photos of places I cannot likely visit in my life, creative inspiration, and news on the thing most important to me, global religious liberty.
The good habits I’d rather have: being a creator more often than a consumer; being positive more often than negative (even in thought)
When David wrote this psalm, he didn’t mean that he needed to look away from the same things I struggle with today, but his words are still relevant to me.
Revive me. Revive can mean a life restored, but it also means “give new strength or energy to”.
That’s what I need! Strength. Energy. Restoration. Revived.
Revive me in your way. In Your way. Since this psalm is written like a prayer, David is asking God to revive him in His, God’s, way. Can you imagine the peace that will accompany this?
Does social media and news media give me strength? Energy? Restoration? Peace? Do they revive me?
No, they do not.
And so I’ll do my part: I’ll turn my eyes from looking at worthless things. I’m taking steps to limit my time online as a consumer, and focusing on being a creator (that’s why I took the time to write today!).